January 7, 2022
Job Description: House Manager, Music & Arts Community Center
Type of Employment: Hourly (Non-exempt)
Pay Rate: $15/hr (overtime after 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: September 13, 2021
Now entering its 27th Anniversary season, the Gulf Coast Symphony (GCS) is one of the most dynamic and innovative orchestras in the United States. The primary goal of the Gulf Coast Symphony is to Create Community through Music. The organization boasts three primary performance groups: a full symphony orchestra composed of both professional and auditioned community members, a fully professional chamber orchestra, and its jazz collective. High-quality performances with both world-renowned and emerging artists, a history of active community engagement, and commitment to arts education are cornerstone characteristics of the organization. Professionally managed and led, it produces fourteen to sixteen concerts each season in the premiere performing arts venue in Lee County, Florida, the Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Hall, plus another 100 nights of concerts at its new, more intimate venue, and educational hub, its Music & Arts Community Center. Additionally, numerous educational outreach events, outdoor concerts, and other activities each year. GCS also runs MusicWorks! an after-school El Sistema program. The concert season includes musicals, ballet, classical, pops, opera, jazz, chamber music, world music and other genres. The GCS is committed to performing a broad variety of concerts and creating a diverse, innovative and balanced program of performances, events, community and education projects which reaches the widest possible public, year-round. The organization has a current annual budget of $2.1 million dollars.
Central Role: Job Description: House Manager
Summary: The House Manager is the primary front of house staff member for performances at the Music & Arts Community Center. In each shift they will train and lead a team of volunteer ushers to welcome patrons and ensure safe and orderly patron operations for concerts and events. Work is assigned and supervised by the Director of the Music & Arts Community Center. House Manager will work closely with the Box Office, Production team, and the administrative team to facilitate performances at the Music & Arts Community Center (MACC) in Fort Myers, FL. Assignments are expected to be carried out under limited supervision at the Music & Arts Community Center. House Manager will need sound judgment, excellent time management skills, and internal motivation.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate schedules for volunteer ushers, conduct nightly usher orientation
- Serve as primary front of house personnel at MACC performances
- Provide operational and administrative support as needed
- Attending company meetings as needed
As the business evolves, so may this role. These duties may change as Symphony’s leadership identifies the need at any time.
- Estimated 10-20 hours per week, depending on performance schedule
- Weekend and night hours required
- Strong background in face-to-face customer service
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time (up to 3 hours), work includes standing, stooping, pushing and lifting 25 pounds occasionally
- Ability to supervise lower-level employees as necessary
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
Desirable but not Required
- Experience working as front of house staff for a music, theater or other performance venue
- Knowledge of the arts, theater and/or symphonic music is extremely helpful.
- Experience with industry-specific venue management practices
- Experience with Tessitura (our ticketing system) or similar platform
Gulf Coast Symphony is willing to teach successful candidates about specific practices unique to the performing arts industry as well as provide specific training on current software platforms.
How to apply:
To apply please send resume, cover letter and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Gulf Coast Symphony is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, geneder identity, gender expression, age, non-job related disability, or marital status.